ListWise

Friday, May 11, 2007

Out The Roof

In the few short hours from the time I got my paycheck yesterday until it was all spent today I managed to make it to the hardware store to pick up supplies for the bathroom. I bought 50 feet of hemlock wainscot cap to hide the transition between the tile and plaster.

This is the same cap I used in the kitchen, and which I wrote about it 2 years ago when I installed it in the kitchen. The profile is very similar to the original wainscot cap from 1895 that was used in several of the rooms in the house. It looks almost the same, but it's not quite as meaty. I will prime it and get one top coat on before I install it, so that looks like Monday or Tuesday at the earliest. After that’s on, I can start to think about putting in the medicine cabinet and trimming out the window.

I also bought some 2-inch ABS and fittings, and a roof jack for the bathroom exhaust fan. It may surprise some to learn that I have finished walls and ceiling in the bathroom, but never ran the stack or the vent out the roof.

I retained the original beadboard ceiling and did not want to go through the hassle of removing part of it and putting it back up so I could run the vents out the roof. As it turns out, because the bathroom is part of the back porch elevation of the house, it has lower ceilings than the rest of the house. The bathroom has 9 foot ceilings and the rest of the downstairs has 10.5 foot ceilings. This means there is a 1.5-foot space on the laundry room side where I can work above the beadboard ceiling without disturbing it.

Today I ran the plumbing vent out the ceiling. Tomorrow I will run it up the rest of the side of the house and finish the bathroom exhaust fan. The first room I finished in the house was the upstairs bathroom, which is right above the bathroom I’m working on now. This means I can’t run the vent in the wall without destroying my beautiful plaster in the upstairs bathroom. It’s on the back of the house, so I’ll just paint the ABS the same Clarey Sage as the rest of the second story. It should be fine. Hmmmm, I hope ABS takes paint OK.

Tile Count: 93 sq ft ready for installation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't almost anything take paint if you sand it a little first? I guess the key word is "almost".

Anonymous said...

When I paint plastic I use Rusto-leum primer for plastic. They claim it bonds at a molecular level. It has worked great for me. Krylon has a similar product but it does not work nearly as well.

Jim