ListWise

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Cold Day in Hell

Last night around 8:00 I checked the thermometer in the kitchen and it read 61 degrees. I was already wearing long johns, 2 T-shirts, and a sweater, but I was still cold so I broke down and turned on the heater. It must be July in Eureka. We’ll probably get this type of weather off and on through August and then our summer will begin.

So that explains the “cold day” part of the blog title, but why am I in hell, you ask? Well, it seems I’ve re-injured my shoulder yet again. Was it Albert Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is repeating the same task over and over and expecting different results? I always figured I qualified as insane, I mean, I bought this house didn’t I? But if buying the house didn’t prove my insanity then this certainly does.

The first time I re-injured my shoulder was when I was baring down on the drill to drill the pilot hole in the marble. Yesterday re-injured it when I was baring down on the drill to drill the pilot holes in the stainless steel front of the refrigerator. What’s worse is, after the first hole I said to myself, “Boy, that smarts”, and then I proceeded to drill 3 more holes. I woke up this morning in agony.

So now that I have an ironclad case for my own insanity I can just go on doing insane things and everything will be alright. I have an excuse now. Oooo, I should print myself up a License of Insanity and get it all laminated and official looking. Then the next time someone asks me why I’m ruining a perfectly good stainless steel refrigerator and they end it with, “Greg, are you insane?!”, I can whip out my license and say, “Yes, as a matter of fact I am”.

I could then go on to explain to them how aliens for years have been using stainless steel kitchen appliances as conduits to beam signals directly in to my brain. They would then understand that even though I am insane, covering the fridge with wood was the only smart thing to do. It was either that or I would need to go back to wearing my pie tin hat while I’m in the kitchen. I may be insane, but I don’t want to look stupid.

And now that I’m officially insane I can continue to work on the refrigerator uninterrupted, despite my injured shoulder. And so I did. I put the last two wedges on the bottom door and applied the oak door skin. The door is in clamps and resting quietly. I cut the side pieces for the doors today, and tomorrow I will apply those. I guess then on Saturday I will start with the trim.


5 comments:

amanda said...

It looks awesome and I'm always amazed at your creativity (or is that just the insane genius? who knows) but why didn't you just buy a white or almond one if you were going to cover it up? Or was the stainless the same price as the white or almond? We had to pay extra for it.

Greg said...

I was thinking a few good massages might do the trick.

When I first found the fridge at the store it was white enamel. I took measurements and went home. When I went back the next day the white one sold and the supplier sent the SS one instead. Since the supplier screwed up the price was the same, so I bought it.

K said...

Hmmm, three posts recently with the word "hell" in the title. I wonder if that says anything about your state of mind. ;)

Greg said...

It speaks volumes. You have no idea.

K said...

Hmmm, three posts recently with the word "hell" in the title. I wonder if that says anything about your state of mind. ;)