ListWise

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A Management Decision

With much consideration, as managers always do, and with the wise and thoughtful advice from Heather, as managers always should, I have decided to wait until all the wood for the floor is here before I continue the installation. I don’t want to just sit and fidget for a week and a half, so I have decided to turn my attention back to the Frankenstein Hutch. I’ve started stripping the paint off the top part and as I expected it was originally shellacked and the paint is coming off quickly. It took about 20 minuets to get one side down to bare wood.

I made an interesting discovery after stripping the paint from the one side. The 4 outside pieces, (top, bottom, and the left and right side) that make up the carcass are each made out of a single piece of wood. The 2 sides are each 2-feet wide, 6-feet tall, and 1-inch thick and they are a single piece of clear heart redwood. Pretty damn cool, if you ask me. Could you imagine the look on the guy’s face if you walked in to a lumberyard today and said, “Yea, give me 20 feet of 1X24. Oh, and no knots please”

3 comments:

merideth said...

"carcass"...that's awesome

Jocelyn said...

sounds like a good idea to me and isn't that the blessing in disguise of having multiple projects in one's midst?

Very mature of you- it's hard to stop something like that midstream-at least for me it is.

that's one priceless piece of wood you have there too!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's one priceless peice of wood ;)

I love having many projects going at once, that way I don't get bored. Of course, that does mean there's multiple messes to deal with....