ListWise

Thursday, May 12, 2005

In Search of a Location

The location of my house to be specific. Well, I know where my house is. In fact, I’m sitting in it right now, but I need the coordinates. They are asking for the Northing and Easting of my house. They being the State Office of Historic Preservation (SHPO). All week long I’ve been working on the paper work to add my house to the National Register of Historic Places. I’m not exactly sure why I’m doing it, but I am. It is kind of like rolling down hill. I just sort of go where it takes me, and this time it's taking me in this direction.

I was able to use TerraServer to find the Longitude & Latitude, and I used an on-line tool to convert that to UTM Coordinate. The trouble is I’m not sure if either of these values are the Northing and Easting values the good people down at the SHPO want. I posted a message on a cartographers board and one at The Old House Web for good measure. Hopefully I will find someone who will know what the heck these people want.

In case anyone’s in the neighborhood and wants to stop by I’m at Longitude –124.1587 & Latitude 40.79998

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried checking your deed? It might give the exact location. I would think "northing" and "easting" would be surveyor's references to know points. Here in Indiana everything measures off a prime meridian which fortunately runs about 100' from our property.
Good luck "finding" your house!

Greg said...

I found out it has to do with the UTM Coordinates system which is used on a flat map, where as longitude and latitude are used on a round globe. You just have to get the longitude and latitude and convert it. The problem was I didn't need all the digits to the right of the decimal.